Absolutely!

Only last Friday I wrote to the list as follows in reference to the Culture
Media and Sport Committee Inquiry into public library closures (they have
asked for views on the library in the 21st century):

"If they [CMS Committee] really are intent on talking libraries the 21st
century they have to address the electronic age - e-books and beyond; the
democratic access to the published word and idea. The book may be a
commercial product but the ideas.? At present publishers have the whip hand
on the exchange of thought. That is not right.

. and this is not living in the past or denying reality; quite the opposite.
It's not just budget cuts; it's not just library closures. There are
fundamental issues here about the substantial core purpose of a public
library and its value in a democratic society.

It will require an economic solution, but it's a political, social and
cultural question"

The clue is in the title; the future of the public library is a
cross-Government issue - Culture, Media, Communities, Citizenship and Local
Government, Business, Industry and so on.

Some have suggested on this list that it's unrealistic for librarians to
canvas for the free loan of e-books. That's not the point; print books
aren't "free"; they are bought from the public purse in the interest of
citizens' access to ideas and information.

It's essential that we open a debate about the restrictions that the
commercial sector is placing on public access to information and learning
through the public library. There is no other place.

John

John Dolan OBE

E.  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

Tw. @johnrdolan

T. 0121 476 4258

M. 07508 204200

  _____