From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Morris W (LCSS)
Sent: 29 November 2011 11:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Access to authenticated online resources on a kiosk library catalogue

Colleagues

I appreciate that this isn't a new topic, but I'd like to ask nevertheless.

We have a number of dedicated library catalogues in our libraries that are setup in kiosk mode, preventing users from breaking out into other services.  Our catalogue contains links to both free and restricted access online resources including e-books.  A forthcoming upgrade will gives us an opportunity to present the library catalogue as a library homepage, with links to other services including e-journal and e-database collections.

Authentication here is based on a SSO system using Shibboleth.

We are concerned about users following links on our catalogue, signing in to use resources, but failing to successfully logout.

How are other libraries are dealing with the issue of providing links to online resources via a kiosk catalogue?  Forcing users to login to a library catalogue seems unnecessarily prohibitive given many (most?) searches will be for print stock.  How do you also provide access to you catalogue for walk-in users, members of the public?

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne Morris
Database Manager
University of Glamorgan, Learning Resources Centre Treforest, PONTYPRIDD, Rhondda Cynon Taf, CF37 1DL
tel: 01443 482605; email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
web: http://lcss.glam.ac.uk

P Please think before printing this email

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org/serials UKSG groups also available on Facebook and LinkedIn