Dear All - I vote for Mantell - at least it looks very much like the picture of him that I have.

Cheers,

Bill Brice

On 11/18/2011 12:44 PM, Cherry Lewis wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> Hi all
My immediate thought on looking at the picture and before reading the all correspondence was that it was Mantell, so interesting to see that others think so too.

I think if you look at the image on Wikepedia, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gideon_Mantell.jpg>
rather than the GS one, the likeness is striking - 'hooded' eyes,  lips look fuller,  though still not quite as full as unknown man, deep groove below the nose, high cheekbones and same ear shape/lobe. Nose is identical in all 3 images. Age, if Patrick's wife is right about the dress being 1820s, is about right too. Mantell would have been in his 30s in the 1820s.
Best
Cherry