Which makes me think that something about this in IFP2 would be a good start, having quickly checked and found nothing about digital archives for HER's in there

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Baker
Sent: 01 November 2011 11:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Retention policies, was why PDF/A

Nothing changes except the media in question, going back to the dreaded office Destruction Days of the 70s when the same battles had to be fought over paper.

This issue needs strong guidance from national level (EH/NMR) stressing the significance of what is being retained and why, while also offering reassurance about the avoidance of garbage collection, and perhaps outlining a model disposal policy.  Quite possibly such guidance exists already and as a mere spectator I've missed it.  It's surely too painful and time consuming for each HER officer to have to re-educate each new rapid turnover of office / IT managers. Much better to be able to point to an authoritiative and regularly updated / reissued national statement.

Regards to all

David Baker

email [log in to unmask]

Telephone +44 (0)1234 781179