Dear all,

We are hosting the next session of the IGRS Graduate Forum on Thursday the 1st of December, from 6 to 7.30pm, in Senate House, room 104.

Our theme for this session is 'Music, Sound and Modernity' and we will be listening to two papers:

Albertine Fox (Royal Holloway): 'Sound, Voice and Body in Jean-Luc Godard's Sauve qui peut (la vie) (1979) and Prénom Carmen (1983)'

Víctor García Priego (Royal Holloway): 'Beethoven and the Crisis of Modernity'

The talks will be followed by questions and a discussion in which we will look at the relationship of music and sound to modernity with a focus on how approaches to musical meaning could be brought to bear on other research within the Arts and Humanities.

Please join us for what promises to be a stimulating discussion!

With best wishes,

The Graduate Forum Team

 ***

The IGRS Grad Forum, run by and for graduate students, is a great way to meet other Modern Language students, share your research and ideas and receive peer feedback. Whether you're drafting a chapter or preparing a conference paper, you'll find it a really helpful space to develop your work. It is open to all postgraduate researchers whose work engages with any a...spect of the culture in those parts of the world where French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish is spoken. Graduate students from departments other than Modern Languages (e.g. History of Art, Film and Media, History, Anthropology) are very welcome to join in. Come along to get to know other students and their research, and share your own!