Hi Aydin,

Yeah, sounds like these definitions seem reasonable. They are definitely
two different things. I'd say Tectonics studies a process, structural
geology describes a phenomenon. It's impossible to study Tectonics without
Structural Geology, but it's equally impossible to fully characterize
Tectonic processes by only studying the structural aspect of it (without,
e.g. geochronology, stratigraphy, sedimentology, paleomagnetism,
seismology, etc).

Microtectonics would simply study the processes at a small scale, not just
structure, but also rheology, fluid-rock chemical interaction, etc etc.

Kind of the similar to the difference between micropaleontology and
paleoclimate: you need the former to study the latter, but
micropaleontology won't give you a full representation of paleoclimate
evolution.

Cheers
Douwe

--