I’m looking for examples/case studies of how museums have engaged adults in learning crafts.

We are doing some work in England for BIS on this issue in a wider context and I want to illustrate to them the breadth of this kind of work in the museum context.

Now, I fully expect a flurry of “what do you mean by “crafts” e-mails. My colleague, Simon Beer, has written a paper on definitions of craft (note the use of the plural). It looks at crafts in the widest sense of the word and comes to the conclusion that there is no, one definition of “craft”. So feel free to interpret as you see fit. I think it is fair to say that we will be highlighting crafts from decoupage and sugarcraft through to thatching and bodging.

We are also looking for a further level of example to illustrate how adults, through learning a new craft or by developing an existing skill, have turned their craft into a business opportunity.

Any/all examples (from any home nation, not just England) will be very welcome.

Right, I’m off to my needlepoint class...

Many thanks

Essex Havard

Campaigns and Fundraising Coordinator

NIACE Dysgu Cymru

NIACE (The National Institute of Adult Continuing Education, England and Wales). A company limited by guarantee registered no. 2603322 and registered charity no. 1002775, Registered address: 21 , De Montfort Street, Leicester, LE1 7GE, UK www.niace.org.uk

NIACE (Sefydliad Cenedlaethol Addysg Barhaus i Oedolion, Lloegr a Cymru). Cwmni cyfyngedig drwy warant rhif cofrestredig 2603322 ac elusen rhif cofrestredig 1002775, Cyfeiriad cofrestredig: 21 , De Montfort Street, Caerl?r, LE1 7GE, DU www.niacedc.org.uk