Dear Stephanie,

Possibly the best source of your answer is the scathing US Government Accountability Office (GAO) Report on the FDA to the US Congress in July 2010:
New Drug Approval: FDA's Consideration of Evidence from Certain Clinical Trials
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10798.pdf

You will find loads of examples in that report.

You can also find some good examples from the Draft FDA guidance to industry on non-inferiority clinical trials:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM202140.pdf

Finally, there was a very good recent 2011 review of the subject from the Clinical Trials Journal:
Through the looking glass: Understanding non-inferiority

http://www.trialsjournal.com/content/12/1/106

Regards,

Ash