I agree that we should be extremely cautious about identifying
appropriate methodologies for determining when such information can
appropriately inform clinical action.
But it is the case that so much more information is so much more
accessible than on paper that it does represent a quantum leap
(qualitative difference) in the information-gathering phase of
observational research (while doing nothing to address the
methodological limitations of observational research).
So, for example, such information was almost certainly adequate to
motivate Kaiser to remove a me-to drug with no safety or effectiveness
advantage (Vioxx) from its formulary.
On the other hand, it is hard to imagine how such information could
justify "preventitive" hormone-replacement therapy.

So for me, the interesting questions here are: What is the patient's
prognosis without the therapy being considered? What is the
pathophysiological credibility of the observed difference? How large are
the (apparent) OR and CI? What are the potential adverse effects of the
therapy? Is some form of effective near-real-time monitoring available?

Best regards.

Jim

James M. Walker, MD, FACP
Chief Health Information Officer
Geisinger Health System

>>> "Dahm,Philipp" <[log in to unmask]> 11/4/2011 12:21 PM

It is unclear to me how the reported EMR quest for evidence provides
any qualitative advancement.

Isn't it in essence the same as sending your medical student into the
dungeons of the medical records department (as it has been commonplace
for decades) to research some question based on your institutional
experience? The only difference is the speed with which it can occur.

I'm concerned that articles such as these will "knight" those
specializing in retrospective data-mining....

Ph*