Of course it depends whether one is the woman whose life was saved or one of the 690 FPs, or one of the medical staff and facilities dealing with the 2099 unnecessary cases and being paid for them.

“ To save one life from breast cancer over about 11 years in this age group (40-49), about 2100 women would need to be screened every 2 to 3 years; - 75 women would have an unnecessary breast biopsy; about 690 women will have a false positive mammogram leading to unnecessary anxiety and follow-up testing”
And, inevitably we have to come to the most uncomfortable question of all: how much unnecessary procedures are worth saving one life?

From: "Djulbegovic, Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 27 November 2011, 21:06
Subject: Re: New breast cancer screening guidelines released Canada_underscoring the need for decision making based on evidence

Rakesh, not belabor the value/risk attitude issue, it is instructive to read the actual Canadian Task Force recommendations:

“This recommendation [weak recommendation, moderate quality evidence] places a relatively low value  on a very small absolute decrease in breast cancer  mortality and reflects concerns with unnecessary  diagnostic testing and overdiagnosis (diagnosis of  breast cancer that will not affect length or quality of  life).

Women who place a higher value on a small  reduction in breast cancer mortality and are less concerned about the potential harms may choose  screening.”

“ To save one life from breast cancer  over about 11 years  in this age group (40-49),  about 2100 women would need to be screened every 2 to 3 years; - 75 women would have an unnecessary breast  biopsy;  about 690 women will have a false positive mammogram leading to unnecessary anxiety and follow-up testing”

And, inevitably we have to come to the most uncomfortable question of all: how much unnecessary procedures are worth saving one life?
Best
ben