Hi -

Kaiser's decision to remove Vioxx from its regional formularies occurred before the implementation of the organization's EMR.  I should add that EMR's are still in their infancy, and usually built as clinical management systems, rather than systems for robust data extraction and analysis.  People sometimes have the notion that extracting data from an EMR is an easy process.  Far from it, though, especially if you want a clean and accurate dataset.  There are also issues with data that is only available from EMRs in text format.

Marguerite

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them.  Thank you.

"Djulbegovic, Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Evidence based health (EBH)" <[log in to unmask]>

11/04/2011 12:58 PM
Please respond to
"Djulbegovic, Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Evidence-Based Medicine in the EMR Era

Jim, this is very interesting statement "...such information was almost certainly adequate to motivate Kaiser to remove a me-to drug with no safety or effectiveness advantage (Vioxx) from its formulary".
Did Kaiser remove Vioxx from its formulary it BEFORE or AFTER randomized trials were published (related to Vioxx safety and efficacy)? If they did it before the trials became available, then it would constitute a fascinating example of the use of EMR that may provide some important lessons for all of us (including skeptics like me).
Thanks
ben