In fact, since Internet democratized accessed to scientific information, it is rather rare to have requests for the second opinions for diseases/problems where guidelines/randomized evidence exists. What EMR will enable is to obtain collective experience (familiarity) regarding the problems that are yet to be studied in scientific, rigorous, systemic fashion. (And, the numbers of these problems/analyses will be infinite, as argued in one of our recent papers).
Ben Djulbegovic

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 4, 2011, at 6:36 AM, "Rakesh Biswas" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

EMRs/Case Reports contain contextual information about an 'individual' that can have a psychological appeal for most clinicians as we often tend to think in terms of clinical pattern matching/recognition ( as in Amy's ...fingernails were bluish, he could barely stand, was dizzy etc or even ECG patterns for that matter?).

On the other hand current evidence based reviews contain information about a 'population' that is difficult to match with the patient at hand (due to the uniqueness of each individual case) and consequently at times may appear psychologically less appealing to clinicians?

Either way if there were a randomized controlled trial between a combined 'individual and population based information' (as in the evolving EMR model) and just 'population' based information ( as in the current model) to study their effect on clinical decision making in terms of patient related health care outcomes it is more likely that the combined approach would fare better?

:-)

regards,

rakesh

From: Dr. Amy Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: Evidence-Based Medicine in the EMR Era
To: [log in to unmask]

Carlos,

I think Brian answered well. In the first instance the concept annoyed me due to an experience where I experienced physicians blindly accepting the printout on an ECG...as a minor finding of variations. Well the patients fingernails were bluish, he could barely stand, was dizzy etc so I sent him to the hospital, later at a surgeon friends home I went to his library and took out the cardiology book and matched the rhythms to the print out. When he asked what I was doing I told him and he said “Oh Amy, only the cardiologists bother with that, I am surprised you can read that”.  They were patterns with labels..a six year old could have gotten it. I apparently made a good call as the hospital took him and he had open heart surgery. This really kind of biased me against EMR as I figure if none of the chart helps existed they would have actually looked at the patient and all the evidence....you know a patient is more than a traffic light and may need help even if the diagnostic doesn’t show in bold or red...I think when there is too much automation perhaps people forget what they once knew...

Really, I only looked at the link because you sent it through and then I started thinking about data mining possibilities, I think the possibilities are impressive and I really appreciate your assistance today in opening a rather firmly closed mind!

Amy