With the Audacity software the benefits extend far beyond this. Two examples: you can cut and paste audio like text and get the learners to re-order same as a kind of jigsaw listening activity, you can easily silence words and grammatical forms within a text that you want to focus on and give the learners a language laboratory like experience by burning to cd and using simple personal cd players or keep as mp3 files on laptops, and it's free =))

Dominic McCabe
ESOL tutor Derby.

From: "Macdonald, Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 10 November 2011, 16:58
Subject: Re: Edexcel Video Recordings

We've used digital audio recorders because the sound quality is better than tape recorders, they are less imposing and are very easy to use. I think flip cameras could be a problem for some women who do not like to be photographed especially if they cannot control who looks at the visual material and where it may end up.

I think it is important to start switching over from tapes to digital because the sound files can be emailed and in the end it should enable us to cut the examination costs. With digital recording we should really be in a position to ask the examination bodies to charge less as they don't need to move people about to moderate - fewer train journeys, fewer hotel bills and far better sound quality.

Ann Macdonald