Hi

Does anyone out there do Edexcel exams? I have found out (3 weeks before our first exam session) that all speaking and listening exams have to be video recorded. (In the past they were all audio recorded and  only videoed if you wanted to). As a county council  provider working in outreach community centres with small numbers of candidates in each venue this is logistically going to very difficult, the first problem being that we probably  do not have the quality of equipment required and then it will have to be moved from centre to centre and will require someone to operate the camera. Although all tutors have small hand held camcorders there is a maximum recording time of 1 hr which is insufficient. It also raises a whole host of issues such as the possible intimidating effect on learners, the cultural appropriacy to some learners and  if speaking and listening exams  have to be videoed for Edexcel but not for other exam boards is this acceptable?  I can see that Edexcel is  trying to prevent fraudulent providers from operating by doing this but the practicalities of demanding this at very short notice are huge. Any comments?

Sue Mirams
Leicestershire Adult Learning Service
0116 2696924

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm
To contact the list owner, send an email to