From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 November 2011 18:12
To: Paul Vickers
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Choice of fonts

Hi Paul,

You have raised a complex question, and I suspect that there may be many replies, each concentrating on a different area.

For what it is worth, I don't believe that it is possible to pick on one typeface and assert that it is the best for all people (or even most people) who have some difficulty with reading. Of course one of the advantages of being able to communicate with students through computers is that they can choose whatever typeface they want.

But, if you will forgive me for hurtling in with heavy boots on, I'd like to answer your question in a different way.

Your text says, "Students should make sure that the recommendations made in this Support Plan are put into practice within their department. If any part of the support e.g. flexibility with hand in dates, copies of handouts, exam concessions etc are [that 'are' should be 'is', because the subject is 'any part'] not being made the student should contact the relevant tutor or their Disability/Mental Health Adviser immediately. Students should inform their Disability/Mental Health Adviser if their situation changes and/or they feel that their support is no longer useful/relevant."

I'm assuming, and of course I may be wrong, that the text you have used for your demonstration is from something that will be issued to students as part of, or alongside, a Study Plan. So I make the further assumption that it is written to the students who have the difficulty, or disability. So I have had a try at re-phrasing it, in a way that might be more understandable by someone who has difficulty reading:

"This Study Plan makes recommendations for things that your department can do to support your academic study. Your department should now do these things. If they do not, please contact your tutor, your Disability Adviser, or your Mental Health Adviser, as soon as you can. If you feel that this support is no longer relevant to you, then please tell your Adviser, so that changes can be made."

You might well disagree with me, but I think that most students would find that easier to read, quite regardless of the typeface used. For one thing, it is shorter, although I believe it carries the same message.

Once again, please forgive me if I have stuck my nose in where it's not wanted, but I hope this answer is of some use.

Best wishes,

Robert