If there is a "large rural" one can be assured its exploited - this is capitalism.

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 07:55:17 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Is there a large hidden rural exploited underclass?
To: [log in to unmask]

 To clarify, I have covered some 4,000 miles on Google Streetview, for an unrelated research project - in the UK and some other EU countries.  I appreciate the comments from e.g. Sweden, where I have not covered.  If listmembers have observational experience of the USA, Costa Rica, Canada, etc I would very meuch appreciate constructive informative comments re these areas too.  And yes, to reiterate, I am looking so far only at the farm-caravan phenomena, not a far wider issue of rural deprivation in e.g. UK former coal mining areas, peripheral deprived estates in small towns / villages, farmer impoverishment in the face of UK supermarket downwards price pressure, low wages + high house prices in UK tourist areas such as Cornwall, dependence on higher-priced small shops due to supermarket remoteness, or any other of the numerous aspects of rural deprivation that exist in the UK, and elsewhere.  I am simply looking at a phenomenon, which in my humble opinion / limited observatiuons, seems to have increased recently.  Also, obviously, Google Streetview would not be the final observational tool to test any hypothesis here - its only an attempt to start constructive comment here - I can suggest a number of Uk databases for deeper, e.g. doctoral, research here.  But as said, i am simply inviting general otehr observations.  My thanks to those who have contributed from other countries.

Dr Hillary Shaw

School of Business, Management and Marketing

Harper Adams University College

Newport

Shropshire

TF10 8NB