Occupy your mind! Delightful video, take a moment
(We Are
APOLOGIES FOR
CROSS-POSTINGS

This is quite WONDERFUL...Take
a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3BYw4xjxE&feature=related

We Are The
Many
Lyrics and Music by Makana

Makana Music LLC © 2011

Available at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3BYw4xjxE&feature=related

*********

SEE ALSO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3BYw4xjxE&feature=related

OCCUPY WITH ALOHA: Makana at
the APEC Dinner, Hawaii

In this version Makana tells the FULL STORY as well as sings the full
version of the song, "We Are The Many."  Watch video
at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3BYw4xjxE&feature=related

Makana's guitar tech shot this with a camera phone during his
performance for the World Leaders Dinner at APEC, which was hosted by
the First Family.

Makana wore an "Occupy with Aloha" t-shirt under his black
blazer and sang his newest song, "We are the Many," an
anthem of sorts for Occupy protestors.

He had to be extremely discreet as Secret Service had warned those on
site that any phones used to capture photography or video would be
confiscated. Since the technician has a guitar tuner app on the phone
they were able to justify having it out, but grabbing video was not
easy. They were under constant surveillance. Makana likes to have
video of his every performance saying, "It's my art and my
right."

About an hour into his set of generally ambient guitar music and
Hawaiian tunes, he felt inspired to share some songs that resonated
with the significance of the occasion.

He sang a few verses from "Kaulana Na Pua" (a famous
Hawaiian protest song in honor of the anniversary of our Queen's
passing), then segued into Bob Dylan's "All Along the
Watchtower," Sting's "Fragile," and finally his newest
song "We Are The Many."

Makana's goal was not to disturb the guests in an offensive fashion
but rather to subliminally fill their ears and hearts with a message
that might be more effectively received in a subconscious manner. He
sweetly sang lines like "You enforce your monopolies with guns/
While sacrificing our daughters and sons/ But certain things belong to
everyone/ Your thievery has left the people none." The event
protocol was such that everyone there kept their expressions quite
muffled. Now and then Makana would get strange, befuddled stares from
Heads of State. It was a very quiet room with no waiters; only myself,
the sound techs, and the leaders of almost half the world's
population.

If he had chosen to disrupt the dinner and force my message I would
have been stopped short. He instead chose to deliver an extremely
potent message in a polite manner for a prolonged interval.

I dedicate this action to those who would speak truth to power but
were not allowed the opportunity.

The lyrics include, "Ye come here gather 'round the stage; The
time has come for us to voice our rage."

The morning before the performance, Makana said he was initially
afraid about singing the piece, but decided to do it anyway because he
believes APEC's leaders are not representing common people.

"It was my message that they are occupying
Hawaii right now and they need to do it with aloha and not just say
it," he said. "I don't personally feel they've done that.
They are not representing the people they purport to
represent."

Download song for free here:

http://makanamusic.com/?slide=we-are-the-many

We Are The Many

Ye come here, gather 'round the stage

The time has come for us to voice our rage

Against the ones who've trapped us in a cage

To steal from us the value of our wage

From underneath the vestiture of law

The lobbyists at Washington do gnaw

At liberty, the bureaucrats guffaw

And until they are purged, we won't withdraw

We'll occupy the streets

We'll occupy the courts

We'll occupy the offices of you

Till you do

The bidding of the many, not the few

Our nation was built upon the right

Of every person to improve their plight

But laws of this Republic they rewrite
And now a few own everything in sight

They own it free of liability

They own, but they are not like you and me

Their influence dictates legality

And until they are stopped we are not free

We'll occupy the streets

We'll occupy the courts

We'll occupy the offices of you

Till you do

The bidding of the many, not the few

You enforce your monopolies with guns

While sacrificing our daughters and sons

But certain things belong to everyone

Your thievery has left the people none

So take heed of our notice to redress

We have little to lose, we must confess

Your empty words do leave us unimpressed

A growing number join us in protest

We occupy the streets

We occupy the courts

We occupy the offices of you

Till you do

The bidding of the many, not the few

You can't divide us into sides

And from our gaze, you cannot hide

Denial serves to amplify

And our allegiance you can't buy

Our government is not for sale

The banks do not deserve a bail

We will not reward those who fail

We will not move till we prevail

We'll occupy the streets

We'll occupy the courts

We'll occupy the offices of you

Till you do

The bidding of the many, not the few

We'll occupy the streets

We'll occupy the courts

We'll occupy the offices of you

Till you do

The bidding of the many, not the few

We are the many

You are the few

Credits:

Directed & Edited by Kamuela Vance

Filmed by Tom Hackett & Kamuela Vance

Creative Consultant: Evan Tector

Thanks to 'Olelo Community Television

All images Fair Use.
Our heartfelt gratitude to the Artists and
Photographers.