A South American friend of mine was listening to some Western European folks discussing impending doom scenarios, and was rather struck by the undercurrent of fear they demonstrated.....

He interjected at one point, saying "Don't Panic! It's already Happening!"

His point?

His people have been facing Armageddon ever since the first Europeans arrived some 300 years ago or so..... and it has been only in the last 30 years that they have been able to start to begin to recover enough to be able to start to organise to take on the Powers which have oppressed them for so long. He pointed out that Western Europeans have barely started that struggle, and need to get a grip, and face a few facts.

1. This is a long, long term struggle and it's NOT about 'saving civilisation' or 'saving the planet' - it's about learning how to live on Earth as a health functioning part of the Earth's biota, one which nurtures more life, one which inproves the conditions of life for all life....  which refuses to oppress anyone or any living system merely to meet 'perceived needs' out of empathy rather than some abstract morality.

2. Technical fixes on their own have always failed because they have emerged from within the prevailing world view. As Einstein is oft quoted as saying "you cannot resolve a problem with the same consciousness that caused it in the first place' meaning one has to move out of that consciousness...

3. The primary consiousness of the Dominant Culture is fear based, driven to excessive desire to control the uncontrollable, which appears at first sight to be rational, yet always, always creates more irrationalities, and thus compounds the problem(s) rather than resolving them.

4. BE VERY WARY OF THOSE WHO SUGGEST IMMINENT DISASTER - Biological life is expert at adaptation by learning how to work with what is ...... panic reduces that responsive adaptional attitude, and tends towards coercion....

These are rather basic points, often lost in the cut and thrust of ideological and abstract debate...

Kindest regards

Corneilius

www.dwylcorneilius.blogspot.com

"do what you love it's your gift to the universe!"