Dear Chris,

"I conclude that the two degree limit is a construct which makes
possible an international environmental regime safe for the interests
of elite actors."

Sounds like a nice academic exercise but there's a huge elephant in
the ointment I'm afraid. I'm contending here, and many who know a lot
more about these things have said as much, that the two degree limit
is a chimera.

The race has been lost and the forces we have unleashed means that the
process called climate change is now unstoppable, unless we seek to
counter them by employing geoengineering techniques on an
unprecedented scale - a task I would assert is very likely to be
beyond the powers of the 'international community' to organise.

In a nutshell, we've pumped huge quantities of CO2 into the atmosphere
which will be trapping the sun's radiation for hundreds of years ahead
while we remain continuing to increase the rate of CO2 emissions
(despite the best efforts of venture capitalists), the world's forests
are either retreating or are being razed to the ground, the phyto
plankton of the oceans are being crippled through acidification and
the Arctic sea-ice is shrinking faster than man-kind has ever
experienced.

There never has been or could be a 'safe' temperature for the globe.
With heavy crossing of fingers we could have - theoretically -
calculated a 'safe' level of CO2 accumulated emissions - and that
could have been heavily influenced by concerns over whether the poor
'should' be allowed to take a heavier toll than the rich. This was the
debate which was won in the process of establishing the Kyoto protocol
- but little good has it done anybody, unfortunately.

The two degree limit is a 'comfort blanket' for the 'elite actors'
enabling them to deceive themselves that we can finesse our/their way
around the virtual inevitability of the process we have had our backs
behind ever since we learned to play with fire.

Brian Orr