From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wright, Steve
Sent: 09 November 2011 23:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The dangerous limits of dangerous limits

Dear Brian

Its an interesting debate but a dangerous fallacy to think there are two clear lines of debate lying ahead. As humans we are not collectively very good at systems approaches and under pressure usually revert to pathways dependency - old behaviour which may be dysfunctional but gives the illusion of control.

Long before we reach the dangerous climate limits, public perceptions will be refocussed on the economic crisis since that has a much more immediate impact on their lifestyles now, today and tomorrow. It is the small giveaways that should show that geo-engineering will not be funded before the crisis bites - like the removal of the feedin tarriffs that had started to create the beginnings of a new green economy in the UK.

Given that Britain is amongst the top five arms manufacturers, military solutions to the effects of climate change will be far more persuasive since it can be dressed up under the security hat and that means more jobs and a clear rationale for the media and longer term survival of our military orientated  manufacturing habits.

If we want to envision what is most probably going to happen next, it is worth looking to the authoritarian regimes of the South, many of whom we have propped up with lucrative security assistance packages. In those places, the people who see the criminal folly of the elite leadership: journalists, trade unionists and human rights defenders are not praised, admired or listened to - they become targets. It is no coincidence that our overseas aid budget is being specifically tied to initiatives that aid UK security and fight against terrorism.

My point in brief is that future decisions on climate change will not necessarily be made on rational grounds by rational actors but as these posts underline, elites with a vested interest in spinning the status quo to avoid market panic. The early break points on climate change will be in the South in terms of areas of inhabitation which will be inundated. The drum beat response there has not been massive processes of dam building, geo engineering or even levy formation but in places like the India Bangladesh borders - the creation of super walls to keep human movement out. The environmental movement has to become more mindful of the security industrial media entertainment university security complex and ways of calling it to account. Its activities are much more intensely funded that geo-engineering will ever be and if we believe the pathways dependency thesis, its power will continue to grow. That said: "security solutions" are more likely to muddy the water than "geo-engineering solutions" because that is where the money lies.

As a group I think we should snapshot the scientific debate at this critical moment of economic crisis in Europe  and return to this space in five years time. If science and evidence based research has resulted in policy which is having a measurable impact on climate change, we are right to be encouraged. If however in 5 years time we have seen a massive deterioration in perceptions of international security and  accompanying increase in the securitiization of new areas of our lives, it is probably time to change tack in terms of how we focus our limited collective energies . There are probably more dangerous limits than we really want to confront.