Dear Nafeez,

I'm afraid I don't accept the analysis embedded in your last
paragraph. The 'elite', including the political elite, are not
entirely stupid. I'm sure many of them have a fairly firm grasp of the
physical realities of climate change - they do have access to many of
the best brains in the business and even if the advice they get from
such is couched in very cautious terms, the politicians and leaders of
the corporations won't be deceived* - although they will appreciate
the wiggle-room afforded by the scientists' caution.

But they are trapped on the back of a tiger - in the shape of years of
promises that life will only get better for everybody, underscored by
the advertising industry and paid for by the corporations. Any way of
dealing with the environmental/climate change crisis that allows
business as usual to continue will have enormous appeal to the
majority enjoying their hegemony - including the elite in China.

Sold in the right way, geoengineering is the 'get-out-of-jail-free
card' they are all looking for. It will have to be demonstrably
workable, relatively inexpensive (under 2% of Gross Global Product???)
and having a low risk of unfortunate consequences. (The elite don't
want to die prematurely and they want to keep their positions and not
hung from lamp-posts.)

There's no real catch 22 lurking here.

The real catch 22 is can we risk having the elite taking control of a
new toy that is even more dangerous than the current industrio-
military complex they now have to play with - whilst registering that
it is only the elite that have the authority and resources to bring
the geoengineering solutions into the arena in the first place?

Brian Orr

*World headed for irreversible climate change in five years, IEA warns
yesterday!