Dear All,
I think this excellent bit of work does not go far enough. using only value free geo-physics, not social science, the blunt truth is that 2 or 4 degrees will be seriously disasterous for the biosphere, and the Humans.The reality is that barring some extraoedinary science, We are well on the way to a runaway greenhouse sceanario, with climate changes pushing temperatures up beyond those of th Permian extinction. on the way, you will get a whiplash effect, which will mean very short, intermittant  mini-ice ages, perhaps only decades long, then temperature rises. Enough to cause Anthropic extinction. In actuality, if there was a technical fix, (just possible) then we would actually be aiming for a temperature REDUCTION, of 4 degrees, because of the overshoot effect of the climate runaway. Even that, might not stabilize things. In reality, our old, normal World has gone now, for ever. it is into the Whirlwind now.
Graham Ennis
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christopher Shaw
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 11:38 AM
  Subject: Re: The dangerous limits of dangerous limits

  Thanks all for your kind and encouraging words. I am aiming to publish in the journal Global Environmental Change as it is the top ranked journal for environmental sciences.

  The two degree limit is a problem because it falsely constructs climate change as a purely instrumental scientific question when actually it is an issue of values. The two degree limit construction says we all want to live in a two degree world. In fact a two degree world looks pretty awful on the basis of optimistic projections, we won't limit warming to two degrees anyway (policy makers are planning for four degrees) and two degrees is an end game for many ecosystems and cultures. So I do want to try and popularise the ideas and sentiments suggested by my analysis. I am working on a website/blog called notargets to try and build a resource and community of citizens trying to evolve a value based response to climate change. Though there is a website it is so rudimentary and embryonic there is no point visiting it at the moment, but if  find the time, creativity and ability to make it half-decent I'll let you know.

  Thanks again, your positive messages mean a great deal to me as I hold this list in the highest esteem - here and medialens are the only boards/lists I post on.

  Chris