HI James,

Regarding the suggestion of lossy compression, it is really hard to
comment without having a good idea of the real cost of doing this. So,
I have a suggestion:

 - grab a bag of JCSG data sets, which we know should all be essentially OK.
 - you squash then unsquash them with your macguffin, perhaps
randomizing them as to whether A or B is squashed.
 - process them with Elves / xia2 / autoPROC (something which is reproducible)
 - pop the results into pdb_redo

Then compare the what-comes-out. Ultimately adding "noise" may (or may
not) make a measurable difference to the final refinement - this may
be a way of telling if it does or doesn't. Why however would I have
any reason to worry? Because the noise being added is not really
random - it will compression artifacts. This could have a subtle
effect on how the errors are estimated and so on. However you can hum
and haw about this for a decade without reaching a conclusion.

Here, it's something which in all honesty we can actually evaluate, so
is it worth giving it a go? If the results were / are persuasive (i.e.
a "report on the use of lossy compression in transmission and storage
of X-ray diffraction data" was actually read and endorsed by the
community) this would make it much more worthwhile for consideration
for inclusion in e.g. cbflib.

I would however always encourage (if possible) that the original raw
data is kept somewhere on disk in an unmodified form - I am not a fan
of one-way computational processes with unique data.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheerio,

Graeme