On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Eleanor Dodson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Just a plea for less molecular replacement.
>
> If you get a new crystal of a known protein with the  same cell dimension as
> youur old crystal, the most likely scenario is that it has the same group,
> and you really should not try MR - use the previous solution as input to do
> rigid body refinement, and then
>  a) the R factor will tell you if this is a reasonable hypothesis (it
> usually is..) and
> b) you dont have this awful problem of not being able to compare the
> solutions..
>
>  Eleanor

But sometimes (or actually we find quite often) the crystal after
soaking & freezing is sufficiently non-isomorphous (we sometimes see
up tp 10% changes in cell parameters) that RBR just doesn't work, and
then you have to fall back on MR.  The solution in that case to avoid
problems of generating symmetry-related and/or origin-shifted
molecules is to do a limited MR search, e.g. rotating/translating each
molecule in the a.u. independently by up to 5 deg & 5 Ang. from the
model (which of course has 100% similarity making it a lot easier).
Furthermore, because the number of points sampled is much less one can
afford to do the more accurate full 6-D search, as opposed to the
usual 3-D RF followed by 3-D TF on each RF solution.  So now we do
this routinely (we don't even bother with a preliminary RBR).  I
believe the limited 6-D search can be done with Phaser.

Cheers

-- Ian