Depending on the crystal shape, "random orientation" is not always
random. Many crystals have tendencies of sitting themselves in one
predominant posture in the mount. Compounding this, many experimenters
have tendencies of rotating the mount into a specific orientation when
centering. Then crystal orientation ends up being not random at all, so
understanding it's true orientation as my neighbor Frank suggests can be
highly beneficial.

Cheers,

N.

Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.