Ho Leung Ng wrote:
> There is at least one paper describing the success of PEG precipitants
> for complexes, but I can't find the reference right now.

Is this it?
http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0021889802013973
J. Appl. Cryst. (2002). 35, 674-676    [ doi:10.1107/S0021889802013973 ]
Crystallization of protein-protein complexes
S. Radaev and P. D. Sun
Abstract: Crystallizing protein-protein complexes remains a rate-limiting step in their
structure characterization. Crystallization conditions for the known protein-protein
complexes have been surveyed in both the Protein Data Bank and the BMCD database. Compared
with non-complexed proteins, crystallization conditions for protein-protein complexes are
less diverse and heavily favor (71% versus 27%) polyethylene glycols (PEG) rather than
ammonium sulfate or other high-salt crystallization conditions. The results suggest that
the stability of protein complexes limits their available crystallization configuration
space. Based on the survey, a set of sparse-matrix screen conditions was designed.