On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 04:13:44PM -0400, Bryan Lepore wrote:
> not sure I follow this thread, but this table might be interesting :
>
> http://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2010/05/00/dz5193/dz5193sup1.pdf
>
> from:
>
> Detection and correction of underassigned rotational symmetry prior to
> structure deposition
> B. K. Poon, R. W. Grosse-Kunstleve, P. H. Zwart and N. K. Sauter
> Acta Cryst. (2010). D66, 503-513    [ doi:10.1107/S0907444910001502 ]

Oh yes, that is relevant and very interesting. As far as I understand
it, the detection of higher symmetry is based on the atomic
coordinates and not structure factors though (please correct me if I'm
wrong here).

At least some of the cases for which the deposited structure factors
strongly suggest a higher symmetry don't seem to be detected using
that papers approach (I can't find them listed in the supplemental).

Cheers

Clemens

*
*  Global Phasing Ltd.