Yes, too many Irish, and too many everybody, most of that everybody killed directly or indirectly by those wearing uniform.

I am hesitant to send this post, to say what I think about this thing in the present climate, when the PM can stand there and say wearing the poppy is not political. This 'present climate' has been produced, to my mind, mainly by the media over the past 5 years - not just the tabloids either, for example television, particularly in its news programmes, has been instrumental in resurrecting a fawning and uncritical sentimental view of the military. Under what pressures from the top, from the establishment, we can only guess at, but there has also been pressure from below.

I am not a pacifist, at least I don't think I am, but I haven't worn a poppy since I was a child. Having a mother who was a strong Irish nationalist and growing up in a time when those wearing a poppy were a minority of churchgoers and ex servicemen, then being part of that flowering of anti-war idealism that was our generation's response to Vietnam, I find the whole thing horrific and hypocritical. In WW1 those poor buggers were not heroes sacrificing their lives for their country, they were mostly the helpless victims of powers way beyond their control.

Tim A.