Hi Louise,

I think it is why I am a performance poet. My oral IQ is very high, so I can talk as long as I need to about most things and talking enables me to understand things. My ability to digest written text is much harder and I read very slowly (which has a definite impact on my writing and study).

Writing takes me a long time to, not to get it all out, but to make sense of it, to enforce structure and sense. But I think that is why it has become so vital to my life. Yes I can talk and talk and talk and it sounds pretty good. But its almost so easy it's not thought through conciously. Writing gives me a chance to address my thoughts in my own time, enforce structure and sense onto them and understand myself better. Then bring them back to being said in a new epiphanic way. Because I always learn something about myself.

I think, largely because of my dyslexia, i couldn't have been anything but a performance poet. There is more to it than this - obviously my visual thinking helps a lot in terms of imagery and I think my developed understanding on process helps to. I also work with young people that cannot speak verbally (for various reasons) writing and performing there work.

Sorry this is a bit rushed. Hopefully there is enough here for you to unpick and ask any more questions you want to.

Warmest Regards,
Deborah