Mark,

Here the advent of digital print hasn't really benefitted the publisher.  Some editors are paying up to £4 a book from Lulu, and selling at cost, or damn near it.  Most of the magazine publishers I know make a loss of £50 - £75 a month, like I say.  But, God bless them, they are doing it for the love of the work.

Fortunately, I have my own digital set up and a Christian Publisher that does all my colour printing.

Alec.

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 12:01:36 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Reading fees for poetry manuscript submissions
To: [log in to unmask]

Alec: I don't know what the situation as to costs is in the UK. Here the advent of digital printing has brought costs way down, because there are no advantages to paying for larger print runs than one can sell and then for storage costs.

But I understand. The return on books and journals has always been slim. I can give you a quick take on books (I haven't published a journal since 1975). They're generally priced at about 6 times printing costs. Most copies don't sell at that price, however. Through a wholesaler the return is more like 45% of cover, a distributor 25-35%, a book store or author purchase (after the free copies) 60%, discounted copies 80%. So let's say the average book sells at 50% of cover. That has to pay for author copies, review copies, postage (publishers pay to send to authors and reviewers, and to wholesalers and distributors).It also has to pay for all pre-press costs. I do all pre-press work myself, gratis. What's left, if you're lucky, is maybe a buck to put toward the next printing. Major publishers manage, and manage to pay salaries, because of economies of scale and much better distribution networks, but they just barely manage.

Which is why the future is ebooks.

Nonetheless, most presses don't charge for submissions and do send author copies. In my case the latter is 10% of the press run.

Best,

Mark