Hmmm...I'm concerned that this is going to send out the wrong message, Dave - that Archivists are an unhelpful lot so beware!

There are two sides to the story here.  While archives can appear intimidating, and yes staff can sometimes be unhelpful, it's equally true that an awful lot of researchers turn up without booking and expecting their research all ready on a plate or, that if not, it's the Archivist's job to do the research.  The Archivist is usually not trying to be obstructive, but simply has another dozen people clamouring for his or her attention!

I think a certain degree of self-reliance should be stressed by Mr Southall to his 'students'.  A good archive will guide and point in the right direction but in the end researchers do have to do the work...

For example where saying " Next is the archivist saying we dont have anything for you without bothering to look in their catalogue, some diplomacy needed here." - surely it is the Archive staff's job to point the way to the right catalogue; but the researcher must then browse through that catalogue to find any relevant items?

To Mr. Southall - we have a load of user guides on visiting a Record Office etc. plus source guides on our website, feel free to download and use!

Regards

Steven Davies
Archivist / Archifydd
Flintshire Record Office / Archifdy Sir y Fflint
Tel./Ffôn: (01244) 532414

Dave Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Archivists, conservators and records managers." <[log in to unmask]>

03/11/2011 10:47
Please respond to
Dave Caroline <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Fax to
Subject
Re: Advice needed: "Introduction to Archival Research" for non-UK researchers (incl. in Libya!)

Finding the right archive to look in.
Finding the information in the archive.
Good online catalogues that google has access to help there.
Next is the archivist saying we dont have anything for you without
bothering to look in their catalogue, some diplomacy needed here.
Then there is the hard slog guessing how a collection is catalogued
and the right search terms to use to get to the right box to ask for
to look in.
Turning up on the door and asking to view gets little in the poor
access policy archives.

Dave Caroline

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.