As if Digital Preservation wasn't hard enough to tackle...!

Steven Davies
Archivist / Archifydd
Flintshire Record Office / Archifdy Sir y Fflint
Tel./Ffôn: (01244) 532414

Kevin Ashley <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Archivists, conservators and records managers." <[log in to unmask]>

25/11/2011 14:53
Please respond to
Kevin Ashley <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Fax to
Subject
Re: IBM Patents Idea of Making Your Data Crappier Over Time

There's interesting. On this I claim prior art, although I doubt I could
contemplate challenging IBM on that. But I did present and discuss on
a number of occasions the idea of making file and folder icons look
more worn over time as an indication of how frequently they had been used
and extending the visual metaphor in a number of ways in digital records
management systems as well as filesystem browsers. Those ideas themselves
were simple and obvious extensions to work SGI had been doing on 3D visual
metaphors for filesystem browsers; all this was in the mid-to-late 1990s.

It seemed ludicrous to me then, and does now, that such an idea could or
should be patented. Thanks as always, Peter, for sharing it!

On 25/11/11 14:06, Peter Kurilecz wrote:
> IBM Patents Idea of Making Your Data Crappier Over Time
> IBM refers to this particular invention as an "aging file system" that simulates
> a natural aging process to documents printed on paper. For example this aging
> process could be automatically applied to .doc, .jpg or .gif files, a patent
> filing states
>

> http://bit.ly/twfsnN
>
> Source:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ibm-file-degradation-aging-patent,14060.html

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.