I was just picking some points out from my personal experiences.
I used to volunteer at a local archive and appointments are in the minority
in that sector and a friendly response is my experience in volunteer
archives (except one).

The drop in when passing does effect me a lot as I cannot plan my drop in
time in advance as I will be combining it with other travel (ebay
collection for example) at a moments notice and have a store of archives I
would like to research in. getting a brush off is off putting (National
Motor Museum).

The "we dont have any information example" came from a major city archive
where I wanted to find a transport company on a particular road around
1904-6, surely they have something like directories of the period (granted
they were in a transition during a move so I wont name them).

Dave Caroline