Jonathan,

There is a lot of dogma in our subject that is based on assumptions and not evidence.  One issue for debate is the theory that bigger is better.  For those in Keele benchmarking, there is evidence that can be used to test this theory.

If one plots the number of tests (size) on the x axis, and cost per test on the y axis you get an interesting correlation (n=46).  The line is hyperbolic.

The data shows the following.  If the work load is small, the unit cost is relatively high.  As workload increases the unit cost decreases.  However you reach a point (the "sweet spot") where the unit cost does not come down as size increases.  This equates to a workload of about 750,000 Keele defined tests per year for Haematology and about 5 million tests per year for Clinical Biochemistry.  Increasing the workload above this optimum workload offers little financial advantage.

I would suspect that the shape of the curve is the same the world over but I would suggest that the "sweet spot" can vary between health economies.  For the UK this would appear to be about 5 million tests for biochem and 750,000 for haem (I would need to re-analyse the data to get the 95% confidence interval).

I can send the curves on ppt if people wish.

Best wishes

Martin

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual(s) addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error then please note that disclosing, copying, distributing or retaining this message or any part of it is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted with this e-mail, so although it has been virus checked before transmission, the recipient should also check for the presence of viruses. The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this email and any subsequent reply cannot be guaranteed. http://www.lancsteachinghospitals.nhs.uk
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/