This brings me to the matter of archiving.

One thing that this thread has made very clear to me is that
convenience of access does not mean security and stability
of archives. Not within the electronic domain. Not in the world.

A single instance confirmed me in my suspicious of ebooks. When Amazon was starting up its ebook system, they sold several thousand copies of a book which they did not have copyright clearance to sell. This was pointed out to them by the irate publisher. Overnight, the book vanished from the ebook readers of all those that had purchased it (and their accounts were credited with the $1.50 they had spent). It would be very easy to do the same thing with a list of "prohibited" books.

All control over the content of your electronic book reader at all times rests in the hands of the distributor, not yourself.

I prefer my cumbersome, difficult to move, physical library (including my copies of several books that are no doubt on some prescribed list or another).

In the Name of Thoth,

Sam Wagar