Aloha,

On 11/4/2011 10:22 PM, D G Mattichak jr wrote:

The general tone among publishers is that while the big traditional
publishing houses are worried printed books are not going to go away. It
will only be the people that publish them who will change. Recently
Russell Grandinetti, one of AmazonâEUR^(TM)s top executives, who said;
âEURoeThe only really necessary people in the publishing process now are
the writer and reader. Everyone who stands between those two has both
risk and opportunity.âEUR?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/technology/amazon-rewrites-the-rules-of-book-publishing.html

Grandinetti is accurate only to the extent that each writer exclusively
distributes ebooks herself or himself. But in the preponderance of
instances, a third party--the ebook distributor--will play a crucial--
and profitable--part. (I don't think list members fail to note that
Amazon is, right now, the largest ebook distributor.)

One of the big struggles going on around the growing ebook market
has to do with who gets what chunk of the sales money. The ebook
pricing model--the agency model--appears to ensure that the various
chunks are large enough that some parties (e.g., authors) don't get
skunked. Ebook distributors like Amazon were, at one time, eager
to set all ebook prices low because they could make money
from high aggregate ebook sales volume. (And, I suspect, gain
control of most of the distribution.)

This struggle continues. But I think that the agency pricing model
will stick.

Another big struggle has to do with digital rights and their management.

The key issue here (for me, at least) involves which parties--authors,
publishers, agencies, distributors, readers, etc.--hold which digital
rights.

Printed books belong to the reader/buyer. Ebooks, so far as I can
figure out, do not. The ebook a reader sees with a reader device
is more or less a leased and limited right to a formatted file.

You may, for instance, gather up a bundle of printed books and
loan them to a friend. Or sell them. Or donate them to a library.

Ebooks may be shared only one at a time. And they cannot be
resold. I am not sure whether they can be donated from a personal
account to a library, but I think not. Because library ebooks have a
different collection of associated rights. (To be clear, I am talking about
ebooks under some copyright, at least as far as digital rights are
concerned. But I suspect that technical considerations might hinder
sharing bundles of "free" ebooks.)

Access to most ebooks, after all, is through an ebook distributor.
They, their computers and networks, act as gatekeepers between
an ebook reader and the ebooks in their library. Fees are involved,
as are ways to tally and charge them. (Here in the USA, this amounts
to registering an account with a credit card. No credit card, no
registered account, no access. An ereader without a registered account
is, pretty much, a paperweight.)

Let me add here that access to academic ebooks might require
paying high fees. That custom could continue.

This brings me to the matter of archiving.

One thing that this thread has made very clear to me is that
convenience of access does not mean security and stability
of archives. Not within the electronic domain. Not in the world.

The electronic cloud is fugitive.

Libraries of ebooks could disappear for many reasons.

I think that we still need to rely on low-tech and enduring
ways to archive information. Like printed books. And physical
libraries. Or some sort of pile of clay and stone tablets.

Musing Ebooks Have Their Advantages & Their Disadvantages! Rose,

Pitch