Workshop for Aspiring Academics
Monday 5 December 2011, Aston University, Birmingham, UK

Designed for research students in philosophy, theology, religious studies, and history and philosophy of science, this workshop offers an opportunity for 'aspiring academics' to hear from experienced scholars about what being an academic in our disciplines is like, to share information and advice, and to develop the skills necessary for a successful academic career. The event will be useful both for those already teaching and researching in departments, and those hoping to start their academic careers soon. It will also provide a chance to meet fellow postgraduates and academics working in our fields throughout the UK. The options available to postgraduates who are considering careers beyond academia will also be discussed.

Confirmed contributors include:

*         Professor Stephen Pattison (School of Philosophy, Theology and Religion, University of Birmingham)

*         Professor Helen Beebee (School of Philosophy, Theology and Religion, University of Birmingham)

*         Dr James Hegarty (School of History, Archaeology and Religion, Cardiff University)

*         Dr Susan Docherty (Department of Theology, Newman University College)

*         Dr David Mossley (Higher Education Academy)

*         Dr Rebecca O'Loughlin (Subject Centre for Philosophical and Religious Studies)

*         Dr Clare Saunders (Subject Centre for Philosophical and Religious Studies)

Topics covered will include:

*         Views of the 21st century research landscape - including how to develop an academic career, changing / influential factors in academic life, and funding opportunities

*         Subject-specific approaches to curriculum design

*         New for 2011/12 (in response to popular demand): postgraduate employability - career planning within and beyond academia

These events have proved to be exceptionally popular in the past, with delegates commenting:

*         "I have learnt a lot more from the Subject Centre courses than from any other training that I have been involved in."

*         "I thought the event was very useful, and presented me with novel information that I had not been given at my own institution."

*         "I thought the event was successful in ways that other similar events have failed. The speakers were engaging, the topics were appropriate, and many relevant subjects were covered."

The event, including lunch and refreshments, is provided at no charge. The sessions will begin at 10.30am and finish by 4pm. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis and in the past have filled up very quickly.  We will operate a waiting list should the event become fully booked.

For details and registration go to http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/events/detail/2011/subjectcentreevents/05_December_PRS_AspiringAcademics

The deadline for registration is Friday 18 November 2011.

Dr Rebecca O'Loughlin
Subject Centre for Philosophical and Religious Studies
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Leeds
LS2 9JT
UK
Tel: +44 (0)113 343 1166