The thing is… obviously we missed out on the first part of this poll, the collecting of the shortlist of historians in the first place.

~Caroline.

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Mattichak
Sent: Friday, 11 November 2011 2:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] most important historian of the past 60 years

How do we define who is important? If it is by the impact that they have had on mainstream society it would be different to it having the greatest impact on academic circles. Is it about how accurate, how first hand, how ground breaking the historian was. Winston Churchill left his history of WWII which is certainly an important document however skewed it is, it ranks with Julius Caesar's Civil Wars as a record of an important period in world history- is Churchill an important historian? or William Shirer who sifted through all of the Nazi war records to produce his history? Which history has it been most important to understand, that from the distant past or from the near past? Which tells us more about ourselves?

Sorry for all of the questions but I think naming which historian is important misses the really interesting question of which historical study is the most important.

DGM