Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:21:46 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] SV: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] SV: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] SV: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] 'historian'
To: [log in to unmask]

David,

I didn’t feel bullied at all – it was merely an illustration of escaping any consequence by rhetorical strategy. The bully (not you) is using hidden intention when confronted – in the same way, your marketing argument can always be applied in the face of any counterargument. In either case, with no finality things are blurred beyond the reasonable. Reality might be blurred, and we should be attentive to all sides of an argument, but we shouldn’t let that relativism prevent us from using baselines and common ground when we disagree.

But enough metatalk. I am not talking about audience reception and sexing things up. And I have read enough Hayden White and Bruno Latour to acknowledge and enjoy the constructivist and rhetorical takes on history and science. What I do argue is that Dan Brown, because of his preface and interviews, is susceptible to academic criticism, because of the thinly veiled appeal to historical fact and truth. Compared to Tolkien and Rowling, his books are a vehicle for a discourse besides the fictional. This is not the same as the emotional response or enactment needs of Tolkien and Harry Potter fans – this is an intentional blurring of an established genre difference.

And this is the important point: Of course we can judge such a book by academic standards, just like we can judge alternative medicine or political rhetoric (or at least, we can judge *that dimension* of the book). That depends on where we are in our research, who we are talking to, what we want to do with it. Calling it “fiction” doesn’t absolve it from reproach, just like calling it “my opinion” doesn’t absolve a statement from criticism. Historical “facts” disguised as “poetical truths” should be engaged with all the more. One of the responsibilities of historians is to point out that beautiful day dreams are historical fallacies based on the state of research at the time. This might change – so what? It is exactly the nature of academic knowledge. If you really believe that “people are free to do so” as an absolute and not a methodological rule, there is no need for universities, intellectuals, or scholars.

Best,

Jesper.