Looking down on people for publishing a more popular version of their work seems a bit narrow minded to me. 1/ it is a way to offer education to people that might not otherwise get access to it and 2/ it is tacitly limiting the scholar to only an academic income. As a non-scholar I feel as though it is a pity that I may be missing the opportunity to read some very interesting work simply because I don't have ready access to academic journals and am unlikely to know where to look in any case. Learning should be accessible to as many people as possible. Again I think that there can be a fairer system.

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 04:39:43 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] New issue Metaverse Creativity
To: [log in to unmask]

    In a perfect world issues of job/retirement security are supposed to
    be resolved by academic tenure which, at least in the US,
    traditionally amounts to a quite livable retirement pension as well.
    Tenure seems to be an endangered institution, however, and it very
    much remains to be seen how these things will shake out in the
    coming years.

    As for publishing popular works alongside academic ones, this can be
    actually be harmful to one's career in some academic fields, insofar
    as it's sometimes looked down upon.

    - N