yes re no residual income, but if you spend a lifetime writing for one or more universities you'd hope that there'd be a decent pension provision. "Hope" being the operative word right now. As an independent with limited unpaid time to write about what interests me i tend to go for the writing small books with broader appeal, rather than chunring out articles in the smaller hope that it'll get me a proper job,  for the same reasons as your accumulative strategy mentioned below

Dave E

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:16 AM, David Mattichak <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I can see the usefulness of having a strategy of writing one book for the university and another, more popular volume to sell to a wider audience if such a thing is possible. My long term strategy as an author isn't to hit the NY Times bestsellers (it would be great but unlikely) but rather to accumulate enough books on the market so that the combined royalties creates a useful income for when I am too old to write (if such a time ever comes). An academic could spend their life writing for a college and end up with no residual income from it. There has to be a fairer system. Writing is hard work and academic writers should be paid for the wealth that it generates for the universities- in my humble (and probably ill-informed) opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me so genuinely

David

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 04:08:02 -0500

From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] New issue Metaverse Creativity
To: [log in to unmask]

David,

Seeing as the university one works for rarely directly publishes one's work, I believe that question returns to the contractual agreement between the author and the publisher. At least this is how it works in the humanities in the US, to the best of my knowledge. I believe copyright issues get somewhat stickier in the academic hard sciences, but I think even those complications are more in the realm of patents on scientific/technological products than on published papers.

Dave e,

Still being in a doctoral program, and having been lucky enough to be funded throughout, I haven't yet had to face the job market or the realities you describe. I also happen to be in a small field that's nonetheless relatively in demand right now, so I'm just hoping that's still true in two years or so when I finish the diss.

- N