yes re no residual income, but if you spend a lifetime writing for one or
more universities you'd hope that there'd be a decent pension provision.
"Hope" being the operative word right now. As an independent with limited
unpaid time to write about what interests me i tend to go for the writing
small books with broader appeal, rather than chunring out articles in the
smaller hope that it'll get me a proper job,  for the same reasons as your
accumulative strategy mentioned below

Dave E