I know quite a few very learned, smart people who find Foucault's Pendulum impenetrably dull. Personally, though, I loved it when I first read it some years back, and I've found since that it greatly rewards re-reading... as you might expect, given Eco's densely-woven style.

I actually have more problems with Brown's prose than I do with his potted esoteric history, but that's a different kind of discussion (and Eco is far from impervious to criticism about prose, so best not to go there!)

All the best,

Ben