This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. --------------- To Cat:

Many thanks; I think you'll find that this is a brush used for cleaning beds. It would probably have been slid between the mattress and frame, then moved back and forth and side to side. This explains (a) the handle's flat profile and (b) its length. If memory serves (and I'm over fifty, so hopefully it does!), one came into the collections when I was working at Salford Museums and Art Galleries in the 1980s and it had the remains of a descriptive (and legible) label stuck on the handle, which confirmed its purpose.

Do get in touch with my colleague Heather McAlpine, Museums LifeTimes Officer, at: Salford Museum & Art Gallery
Peel Park
The Crescent
Salford
M5 4WU
Tel: 0161 778 0885
Fax: 0161 745 9490
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Hopefully, said brush should still be in the collections!

With best wishes and kind regards

Jim Garretts.