Dear All,

I am creating something of a comparative study of animals used in Roman religious ritual, and am currently in the process of compiling a list of all faunal reports from Italy during or around the Roman period which suggest non-economic use.  At the moment, I am considering this writ large, so assemblages from a sanctuary, burial, or anything that strikes the analyst as a special animal deposit.  In addition to my own analysis of bones from domestic sacrifice in Pompeian gardens, I have compiled the following listed below (thanks largely to the fantastic bibliographies produced by Michael MacKinnon!).  I wonder if you might be kind enough to have a scan through the list and let me know if there is anything you can think of (published or unpublished) which I am missing?  Moreover, as it looks as though I may be spending next year in Italy, I would also be very keen to hear if there are any assemblages of religious import you may know about which have not yet been analyzed, or excavations of Roman period temples/sanctuaries in Italy which are in need of a zooarchaeologist.

Finally, to try your kindness on one last thing, I would be immensely grateful if anyone has the following:

C. Assad ‘Preliminary report on the faunal remains from Roccagloriosa’ (unpub)

Many, many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

Rachel Hesse

Albarella 1989 - Hipponion – Vibo Valentia

Albarella 1992 - San Costanzo

Barker and Clark 1995 - C36, Samnite sanctuary,

Barker and Clark 1995 - Campochiaro, Samnite sanctuary,

Barker and Clark 1995 - Pietrabbondante, Samnite sanctuary

Barker and Clark, 1995 - Campochiaro, Sanctuary

Bökönyi 1990; 1993a, b - Roccagloriosa, Lucanian settlement and sanctuary

Cabaniss 1983 - Metapont, Settlement and sanctuary

Clark 1999 - Pompeii, House of Amarantus

De Grossi Mazzorin 1989 - Rome, Forum Transitorium, urban deposit, ritual?

De Grossi Mazzorin 1995 - Pescorocchiano, Votive deposit

De Grossi Mazzorin 1996 - Rome, Aqua Marcia, city and ritual deposit

De Grossi Mazzorin 1997 - San Giovenale, Settlement and sanctuary

De Grossi Mazzorin 1997 - Schiavi d’Abuzzo, sanctuary

De Grossi Mazzorin, J. and A. Tagliacozzo (1997) ‘Dog remains in Italy from the Neolithic to the Roman Period.’

De Grossi Mazzorin, J., A. Tagliacozzo, and A. Riedel (1998) ‘Horse remains in Italy from the Eneolithic to the Roman Period.’

D’Errico and Moigne 1985 - Locri, bothroi

Ioppolo 1971-72 - Rome, San Omobono, urban temple and ritual deposit

King 1987 - Classe, dog burials

Lissi et al. 1958 - Locri, bothroi

MacKinnon 1999 - Lugnano, Rural villa/infant cemetery

Petrucci 1996 - Montereale (US 583c), ritual deposit

Petrucci and Vitri 1995 - Montereale, ritual deposit

Prummel 1996 - Borgo le Ferriere (Satricum), Deposit II

Scali 1993 - Cosa, dog burial cistern

Sorrentino 1989 - Cantone, Necropolis

Sorrentino 1989 - L’Aquila, Abruzzo, necropolis

Sublimi Saponetti 1991 - Gravetta, Sanctuary

Tagliacozzo 1989 - Rome, San Omobono, urban temple and ritual deposit

Tagliacozzo and Cassoli 2001 - Lagole de Calazo al Museo di Pieve di Cadore, Sanctuary

Toco Sciarelli 1988 - Poseidonia-Paestum, Sanctuary

Villari 1989 - Piazza della Victoria at Syracuse

Zancani Montuoro and Zanotti-Bianco 1937 - Capaccio, bothros