Dear Colleagues

Great topic and very much relevant in these times when I found myself having to deal last week with such an incident on my facility. Our rules as also very clear
1. no drugs or alcohol
2. no violence or threat of violence
3. no sexual relations / contact between staff and residents.

However I had to take into consideration what will benefit these individuals more, discharging them or addressing the situation as both are in a long term program. The male have a secondary addiction of sexual encounters when he is using. The female is a former prostitute who are seeking treatment for her addiction of drugs. I had to decide if it would be in their best interest to discharge them as the incident happened on facility during program time as the females are hosted on a different premisses and only interact with the other male residents when the are receiving their daily treatment program.

The facilities rules were clear but when I presented the problem to our clinical staff, some had different view points on how to address the issue of sexual contact whilst in program. Some felt that we had to discharge them as they have broken a cardinal rule and the consequences are spell out clearly in our treatment conditions. Some felt that we had to be a bit lenient as the encounter between the 2 parties were consensual and that we should rather hold them accountable then to discharge them as both didn't have much family to support them and would have ended up going back to the street and end up using again.

The decision that were taken was to hold them accountable and take away some of their privileges as a deterrent. Hope that some may benefit from this incident. My apologies for not being able to attend the EFTC conference. Saw the pictures and you guys all looked stunning.

Regards
Shaamiel Davids
Director
H.O.W Rehabilitation Centre