On 19/10/11 14:31, Andrew Washbrook wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is any official recommendation for running cvmfs_fsck on WNs?
> I keep hearing it being mentioned but I cannot find any guidelines for appropriate use
> - especially for sites now migrating to CVMFS.
>
> In particular I would like to find out:
> - What command line arguments (if any) are used by sites running cvmfs_fsck
> - How frequently this should be run

At the last GDB, it seemed to be recommended to run it every 24 hours.

AIUI, that's what the the RAL Tier-1 do.

> - What impact this process has on worker node load (and how long the operation takes)
> - What to do if cvmfs_fsck throws errors: is the local cache and subsequently the WN unusable?

cvmfs_fsck -p cleans up the cache IIRC.

> If you have any advice it would be much appreciated!

My understanding is that the desire to run cvmfs_fsck on a regular basis
actually comes from problems with corruption that have now been fixed.

The Tier-1 hit them and ran cvmfs_fsck on a regular basis. Manchester
also ran into the problem and filed a ticket. Once I'd fixed QMUL's
StoRM problems I noticed lots of failed analysis jobs on a subset of
nodes - sending the dodgy files to Jakob resulted in a fixed cvmfs a
couple of weeks later. I've not seen problems since (Adding regular
cvmfs_fsck is still on my todo list).

Chris