Andrea,

Depthmap has a tool for automatically generating axial maps from the boundary map (the building plan). It works in many cases, but on occasion makes some errors. In general my advice to students is to do it by hand as this is a good exercise in observation in its own right - you see things in the plan that you did not notice before.

Alan