Dear Colleagues

In the week before the launch of OCSLD's newest online course:

   "Extending your online course" (2 November - 4 December)

There are still a few places available.

The course is designed for teachers and trainers from all education sectors and all disciplines who are interested in exploring the ideas and potential for learning beyond the hype around Web 2.0, the net generation and social media

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/services/ocsld/online/extending_your_onlinecourse/index.html

This short course focuses on enhancing teaching and learning by harnessing the potential of new technology and tools for interactivity
and engagement.

What does that mean? We are going to experiment with new "stuff" to teach with. The course is primarily aimed at teachers who have some
experience of teaching online, those who have done one of our other online courses, or those who are bold about trying new things. You do
not have to be a techie. In fact the course is not really aimed at techies. But, you should be willing to embrace social media technologies for education and get your hands a little dirty when we "lift the lid".

The course is going to be experimental. We are not going to tell you what to do or how to do it - though we will if we can. We do aim that through this engagement you will discover (and we might as well!) new ways to interact in learning environments and new tools to facilitate that interaction. We will adopt the motto (though not, perfectly, the method) of the MOOC, "... we suggest, you decide". We will look at not just the tools and techniques, but also the social implications of going on-line through the social media world. Questions of privacy, identity and community in respect to academic practice will be raised.

As with our other courses this four week short course will be taught primarily through asynchronous group discussion. However there will be
some use of synchronous audiographic virtual classrooms. We will use Wimba Classroom. It is a lot like Elluminate or Adobe Connect. If you
are thinking about participating you might want to put Friday 4 November 1200-1400 (GMT) into your diary for the first of the live
audiographic sessions. And, there will be two more live sessions on the Fridays: 11 November and 25 November.

We hope to see you there.

Best wishes

Fiona
OCSLD

Fiona Smith
Centre Administrator
Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development
Oxford Brookes University
Wheatley Campus
Wheatley
Oxford
OX33 1HX

Tel: +00 44 (0)1865 485902
Fax: +00 44 (01865 485937

We cordially invite you to join us at the 20th annual Improving Student Learning Symposium, which will convene at Lund University, Sweden on 29 - 31 August 2012

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/services/ocsld/isl/isl2012/index.html
email: [log in to unmask]