Hi Jon

Yes, it was meant to be serious!  (The team is full of economists/historians/social & politicspopulo - I am the sole statistician which is why I was asked to look into this aspect.)

It's government-funded. The idea is that if the suits know where the impact comes from, then they'll know which research grants to cut. (Otherwise they'll cut anyhow - on the basis of ignorance rather than statistically-inspired ignorance.)

JOHN B